Trouble Sending Email?
This document will walk you through some common issues encountered when sending email: including how to circumvent them, and prevent them in the future.
Topics of this article:
- Email isn’t sent or received
- Email is being received, but not sent
- Email sent to an Earthlink OR AT&T email address is bouncing back
- Mass email is bouncing back on several destination email addresses
- Contact Support
Email Isn’t Sent or Received
If you are getting send/receive errors, do the following:
- Login to your webmail to verify that you can send & receive:
- Access webmail.(yourwebsite).com in your web browser
- login with your email information
- Click the “Inbox” at the left
- Attempt to “Compose” a new message and send
If this does NOT work, please contact us. If this does work, the problem is with your local setup, please delete or repair your existing setup in outlook (or other email client). If this is your first email account, you will need to setup an email account on the server first (using Plesk).
Email Is Received But Not Sent
First, verify that your outgoing mail server connection information is correct. This will vary depending on your mail client. For Outlook 2003:
- Goto Tools -> Email Accounts -> View or Change Existing Accounts -> Select the appropriate account and “Change” button.
- Verify the settings are correct based on the email setup tutorial for your client. (E.g. Setting up email in Outlook 2003)
If this is correct, and the email is still not going through, sometimes your ISP (e.g. Verizon Fios, Comcast) will block outgoing mail on port 25, so you will need to change your outgoing server port to 587:
Email Sent to Earthlink Address or AT&T Address is Bouncing Back
By default, Earthlink & AT&T block incoming email unless it is from a list of their choosing. If you find you are being blocked by these email addresses, please forward the bounce back email to [email protected] and we will contact their support teams to remove this block.
Mass Email is Bouncing Back
In general mass email cannot be sent using regular email clients (e.g. Outlook). Most providers including hotmail, aol, yahoo, and a host of proprietary email providers will block any email that has more than 100 recipients. Also, many providers will limit the email size as well to 10mb.
For more assistance, contact technical support:
- Phone: (315) 233-9283
- Email: [email protected]